Sunday, October 5, 2008

Walt Disney, the Master at Escaping Reality

During this time of economic hardship, I could blog, like many others about my subjective opinions regarding the matters that are transpiring; however, I choose otherwise. Instead of elaborating on my subjective opinions and heat a debate about a topic that cannot be controlled by the average person, I choose to discuss what can be done with the God given power of thought.

I believe we all model someone, or many for that matter. In other words, we look up to people, we find role-models. It is important to be aware of who you are role-modeling because it will affect your future. I have always chosen to role-model or look-up to people like Walt Disney. He is a perfect example of a dream coming true. "Walt Disney's animations continue to demonstrate man's ability to construct his own reality." (pg. 348, Walt Disney, The Triumph of the American Imagination)

As discussed in previous blogs, Walt Disney was in a constant financial battle. His imagination spent far more than he or brother Roy Disney obtained. Nevertheless, he prevailed. The Walt Disney Company sits on the Fortune 500 list and Disney's legacy is forever remembered. I believe there is something deeper to be addressed with Disney's legacy. His story and his mindset is something people need to hear. During Disney's triumph, the country faced war and depression; however, when "he was asked how the war would affect things. Walt supposedly snapped, 'What war?' This is the power of wish fulfillment and one of the chief appeals of his work." (pg. 348, Walt Disney, The Triumph of the American Imagination) To Disney there was no other reality other than the one he thought. In Walt's mind- if Mickey Mouse wasn't affected by the war or the depression, then neither was he.

In my time observing people especially those who claim they are playing "devils advocate" against the free-spirted entrepreneur, against those like Walt Disney. I can claim that when anyone says "I'm just trying to play devils advocate," they really mean "I'm just trying break you mental wellbeing becauase I cannot see any project working, including yours." If you have a dream, make it happen. Just as Walt Disney didn't pay attention to the war or the depression, I urge you, the dreamer, not to pay attention. Without a doubt you MUST assess your situation and your enviornment. If it looks promising, if you see potential- do as Walt Disney did.

Under "Charlie TV" I put the first 20 minutes of the DVD, The Secret. The Secret addresses the power of thought, wish fulfillment, the laws of attraction, and so much more. I highly recommend it.

Make Miracles Happen.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's cool to get a view of how Walt Disney thought.

Anonymous said...

The Secret is a great book. I wasn't aware that it's on DVD. Good time to make that buy being I'm unemployed lol.

Anonymous said...

Go add with the secret. Its funny I never knew how much Walt Disney struggled and how his way of thinking got him to be where he (the company) is today. Its so obvious but goes unsaid.

Anonymous said...

Sick blog picture with NYC behind you.

Anonymous said...

hahah I hear that all the time. "I'm just trying to play devils advocate" bunch of a$$holes. Good to know even at the top there is still someone who understands what it's like to be at the bottom. Those people who play devils advocate should play it with their own life.

Anonymous said...

Charlie Large

Anonymous said...

There aren't many people trying to help like you. God Bless my brotha.

Anonymous said...

Just checked out the secret, it changed my life. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

People always do that. Good call.

Anonymous said...

It's all in the mind!

Anonymous said...

youre a freak.