Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Superheroes

During the early years of life we often choose a "superhero" or an all-star baseball player, a basketball player, or barbie to emulate. The question I beg: Who do we emulate as adults? For any adult in the business world, any adult who is in the 'rat race' perhaps it is time to choose a new 'superhero'- a person who has been utterly successful. Why? To follow in the footsteps of the greats.

My team took a survey asking over 3,000 people throughout New York City 'who is your favorite baseball player?' (amongst other sports) and finally 'who is your favorite businessman (or woman)?'

When it came to the last question- only about 350 had an answer, some said their father. It makes me wonder what are we not teaching here. Throughout my life I lacked quite a bit of guidance and always read for my answers. Different success stories, philosophers, & historical wealthy figures shaped my mindset- these historical wealthy figures are who I emulate.

While growing-up, we are guided by our parents- slowly morphing into them. At the same token life's experience morphs us. The question I have: If you are to morph into someone or take-on traits of a historical wealthy figure, who would it be? Upon answering this question, I suggest reading about that person, finding whatever it is you can to replicate their mannerisms, etc. and in doing so you will find that you are surpassing yourself, being someone you wish you could be.

If life is always in flux or forever changing then we must adapt, thereby always improving ourselves to become or stay the 'fittest' (in a Darwinian sense). Noah Dietrich, long-time business associate to billionaire Howard Hughes once said to Howard after he inherited his family's fortune: "All great men have goals which are clearly and sharply defined." Millionaire at the time, Howard Hughes replied: "I intend to be the greatest golfer in the world, the finest film producer in Hollywood, the greatest pilot in the world, and the richest man in the world." With a grin he added, "But not in that order." (pg.40-41, Howard Hughes the Untold Story)

Notice Howard's goals weren't sharply defined in the aspect of 'how' he will go about doing it. Nevertheless, they were sharply defined in the aspect that he knew what he wanted to be. Who do you want to be? And what are your 'sharply defined' goals?

Make Miracles Happen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are out there man but your points are indisputable. Who the f are you?

Anonymous said...

I'm an old timer and haven't heard the name Howard Hughes in at least two decades. I remember as a young boy turning the radio on and hearing about this man flying around the world breaking records. He was spectacular. Good post.

Anonymous said...

Man ur so right. When I played basketball as a kid i always pretended like i was michael jordan and even though i couldn't play like him pretending to be like him definitely made me better. As a adult i dont have a michael jordan to follow it is unfortunate cause mayb i could have been more like how i used to be when playing basketball.

Anonymous said...

After I saw your blog on facebook I googled howard hughes b/c I never heard of him before. To my amazement wikipedia said great things. I just rented the aviator with leonardo dicrapio. Good looks bro.

Anonymous said...

Ur a real abstract thinker. I never even thought like that.

Anonymous said...

Interesting way to look at life. It's so obvious that we look up to people and it's so obvious that as adults we lose our imagination that we used to have when we were kids looking up to our favorite superheroes. This is really a good blog. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to be a top engineer!

Anonymous said...

Good thinking brotha

Anonymous said...

Good inspiration. I see the flaws in my ways. Always looking to the next up when I should be looking at the top. And why wouldn't you? I guess the step back would have been Ideal. Thanks for the eye opener.